Be careful when using an ATM, especially when getting cash. Follow these precautions:
- Always watch for suspicious persons or activity around an ATM.
- If you notice anything strange, leave and return some other time.
- Even if you have already started a transaction, cancel it and leave.
- Take a companion along
- Park close to the ATM in a well lighted area; lock your car
- If the lights around the ATM aren't working, don't use it.
- Use your body as a shield while you enter your access code, so no one can
see you type it.
- Take all of your transaction receipts with you; don't throw them away near
- If you get cash - put it away right away; don't stand at the ATM and count
- Never accept offers of assistance with the ATM from strangers; ask the bank
- If you use a drive-up ATM, your vehicle's other doors should be locked with
windows rolled up.
- Memorize your access code; don't write it down and/or carry it with you.
- Don't use an access code that's the same as other words or numbers in your
- Never tell your access code to ANYONE!! (Including bank employees, the police,
- Never lend your ATM card to anyone; treat it like cash or a credit card.
- If you lose your ATM card, notify your bank or credit union immediately.